About Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara is a relationship coach and educator, and her professional focus over the past decade has been in the area of marriage prep with seriously dating, engaged, and newly married couples.
Her areas of expertise include communication and conflict dynamics, early relationship transitions, and relationship education and enrichment. She's a 4-time recipient of The Knot's "Best of Weddings" award for her work with engaged couples, and she was inducted into the "Best of Weddings" Hall of Fame.
Professionally, she has experience working in higher education (staff + teaching sides), family mediation, and as a facilitator, program director, and entrepreneur in the field of relationship education. She has worked in a variety of capacities for the relationship education powerhouse PREP, Inc., including work as the lead writer on a government contract to develop research-based marriage tips for newlyweds in another country. The PREP Approach has been used to teach effective relationship skills to more than a million people worldwide - and counting!
Dr. Kara has been interviewed by a variety of media outlets, including Brides, Frisco Style, the DFWChild Podcast, The Dr. Will Show, and Voyage Dallas. She also wrote a piece for singles on The Gottman Institute blog.
- Ph.D. Family Studies, Texas Woman's University
- M.A. Dispute Resolution, Southern Methodist University
- B.A. Corporate Communications-Public Affairs and Psychology, Southern Methodist University
- PREP Certified Facilitator
- Certified SYMBIS Assessment Facilitator
- Bringing Baby Home Educator, The Gottman Institute
- Certified Family Life Educator, National Council on Family Relations
- Gottman Seven Principles Program Educator
- PREPARE/ENRICH Facilitator
- 42-Hour Domestic Relations and Dispute Resolution Certification
- 40-Hour Mediation and Dispute Resolution Certification