About Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara loves people, understanding how they tick, and observing the dynamics of how they interact and influence each other. She's spent the bulk of the past 10 years in the realm of marriage prep and enrichment with couples who want to take their relationships from good to great.
Her superpower is making cutting-edge research relatable and practical for her couples and clients, so they leave with deeper insights and proven tools they can put into practice right away.
Professionally, Dr. Kara has experience working in higher education (staff + teaching sides), family mediation, and as a facilitator, program director, and entrepreneur in the field of relationship education. She has worked in a variety of capacities for the relationship education powerhouse PREP, Inc., including work as the lead writer on a government contract to develop research-based marriage tips for newlyweds in another country.
She is a 4-time recipient of The Knot's "Best of Weddings" award for her work with engaged couples, and she was inducted into the "Best of Weddings" Hall of Fame.
Dr. Kara has been interviewed by a variety of media outlets on topics ranging from entrepreneurship to relationship advice and conflict resolution tips, including: Brides, Frisco Style, DFWChild Podcast, The Dr. Will Show, and Voyage Dallas. She is currently a relationship blogger for Psychology Today.
- Ph.D. Family Studies, Texas Woman's University
- M.A. Dispute Resolution, Southern Methodist University
- B.A. Corporate Communications-Public Affairs and Psychology, Southern Methodist University
- Dream Big Certified Coach
- PREP Certified Facilitator
- Certified SYMBIS Assessment Facilitator
- Bringing Baby Home Educator, The Gottman Institute
- Certified Family Life Educator, National Council on Family Relations
- Gottman Seven Principles Program Educator
- PREPARE/ENRICH Facilitator
- 42-Hour Domestic Relations and Dispute Resolution Certification
- 40-Hour Mediation and Dispute Resolution Certification