About Dr. Kara
Marriage and parenthood have been my most daring, humbling adventures, and for more than a decade, couples have let me peek behind the curtain into their relationships to offer encouragement and guidance.
Hi! I'm Dr. Kara - a wife, mom of 3 silly kids, and award-winning relationship coach. With a PhD in family studies and more than a decade as a coach and educator, I love people, understanding how they tick, and observing how they interact and influence each other.
Professionally, I have experience working in higher education (staff + teaching sides), family mediation, and as a facilitator, program director, and entrepreneur in the field of relationship education. I've worked in a variety of capacities for the relationship education powerhouse PREP, Inc., including work as the lead writer on a government contract to develop research-based marriage tips for newlyweds in another country.
I've been fortunate to receive The Knot's "Best of Weddings" award four times for my work with engaged couples and even got inducted into the "Best of Weddings" Hall of Fame.
I've been interviewed on topics ranging from entrepreneurship to relationship advice and conflict resolution tips in outlets like Brides, Frisco Style, DFWChild Podcast, The Dr. Will Show, and Voyage Dallas. I'm also a relationship blogger for Psychology Today.
My goal is to blend science-backed skills with humor and straight talk - to make relationship research "doable" for real life.
Thanks for being here! I hope you'll find resources on the site to encourage you in the relationships that matter most. :)
- Ph.D. Family Studies, Texas Woman's University
- M.A. Dispute Resolution, Southern Methodist University
- B.A. Corporate Communications-Public Affairs and Psychology, Southern Methodist University
- Dream Big Certified Coach
- PREP Certified Facilitator
- Certified SYMBIS Assessment Facilitator
- Bringing Baby Home Educator, The Gottman Institute
- Certified Family Life Educator, National Council on Family Relations
- Gottman Seven Principles Program Educator
- PREPARE/ENRICH Facilitator
- 42-Hour Domestic Relations and Dispute Resolution Certification
- 40-Hour Mediation and Dispute Resolution Certification